Thursday, April 26, 2012

Deep breaths, everybody

Now that we've all had 8+ hours to decompose from Joel Ward's series-ending goal, putting the Caps into the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs...I can get around to a few observations on the night (and series).
For starters, let me point out to Boston sports fans that anything we Caps fans said/did on Twitter wasn't personal. We have more respect for you than we do for Penguins/Cowboys/Philly sports fans.
Having said that, it makes this next statement all the more repellent.
For a vocal minority of so-called Bruins "fans" to use "nigger" (on Twitter) in describing Joel Ward...simply reinforces the stereotypical image of South Bostonites as racists and/or bigots.
Truth be told, I've sat in FedEx Field (back when my brother had Redskins season tickets) and watched Skins fans drop bombs at opposing teams' fans. So you can't claim the moral high ground when it's your own fan base behaving like assholes.
I realize not all Boston fans are like these shitholes last night. This series was exhausting for everyone, let me tell you. But...
Since I have to be at Fenway Park on the 8th of June (to cheer on the Nationals), you'll forgive me if I have a slight fear for my life after last night.
Try to understand why...



No comments:

Post a Comment